Monday, March 5, 2012

OSLA and P.R.I.D.E. Week


Last week Hofstra Celebrated our pride principles through P.R.I.D.E.Week. OSLA decided to start off the week by "Paying Our P.R.I.D.E. Forward" We stopped by the custodial area in the student center to thank the staff for all they do every day for our offices and the students in the building. As well we staffed a FREE Hugs Tables. Our plan was to make students day by offering a free chocolate hug at the table but, we were surprised to find how many students wanted a real hug. We more than ten students say they really needed that. Sometimes we forget how much a quick hug can make someone feel better!
On Wednesday we hosted the "I" of P.R.I.D.E.(Integrity, Ethics and Leadership). We had a "What Would You Do" Putt Putt Golf program. In the atrium Hofstra community members were asked to play putt putt and answer an ethics question/ situation. We had over 87 respondents to our written situations and many more community members that stopped by our table to check out the information. Some sample scenario/ answers were:
(Scenario) While studying in the library you notice a student leave for the restroom. Seconds later, a different group of students goes over to the student's laptop and stuffs it into their bag. (Answers) 1. I would remember what the person looked like. I wouldn't say anything to them directly but tell the owner and call Public Safety. 2. Confront him/her right away and tell Public Safety/authorities. 3. Tell the librarian and tell that person that that is not his stuff.
(Scenario) You see someone smoking inside by the library because it is raining outside. (Answers) 1. I would tell them they shouldn't be smoking here. 2. Tell them to step outside. As a student with asthma someone
smoking indoors is harmful not only to me but everyone else. 3. Ignore it because the person would probably be nasty. I'd cough loudly though so hopefully they realize.
On Wednesday evening six students participated in one of OSLA's P.R.I.D.E. A-LaCarte series workshops. The workshop entitled "What Would You Do: An Ethical Discussion" was presented by Dr. Kathleen Wallace, professor of Philosophy. The "I" principle was discussion revolved how we lead in our society and ways to make decisions with integrity and a frame of ethics in mind.
Finally, on Friday OSLA hosted First Fridays at Hof USA which is quickly
becoming a fun tradition. Throughout the Fall and Spring semesters each First Friday of the Month OSLA has sponsored a program at Hof USA from 7pm-10pm. For March we did an Open Mic for the "E" of P.R.I.D.E. WEEK (Expression and Free Exchange) along with "Treat Decorating and Creating a Bear". Over 75 students enjoyed the event at Hof USA!
I hope you were able to make it out to the plethora of events happening during P.R.I.D.E.Week and that you took advantage of another great week of events at Hofstra! To stay involved check out more opportunities and events at hofstra.edu/osla

1 comment: